EUROCITIES WG Roma inclusion is meeting in Braga, on 24-26 September, for a mutual learning under the format of a critical friend review on ‘how to develop an effective integrated city plan for Roma inclusion’.
Braga has been developing an innovative Plan for Action for Disadvantaged Communities (PAICD) that was complemented by a three-year project '(Re)Write our neighbourhood'. From housing rehabilitation, a mobile service station to foster employment, actions on health and education to activities that will change the narrative on Roma, the interventions have been developed with the Roma community in an integrated framework in three different neighbourhood of Braga.
Using the opportunity of a new URBACT project, the city is now hoping to scale up its action to another neighbourhood. The members of the WG Roma are invited to engage in peer review exercise to provide a critical friend advise on the existing practices and on how these could be replicated in a different neighbourhood.
The method of the critical friend review
Why should you participate?
- Gain in-depth understanding of Braga’s strategy and practice for Roma inclusion by participating in visit of the neighbourhood, learning from presentations and engaging in discussions with key local stakeholders;
- Analyse the strengths, opportunities and challenges of Braga’s practice to suggest improvements and extract transferable element from and for your city;
- Advise the host city on possible follow-up actions based on your expertise;
- Network with other city experts of Roma inclusion;
- Develop a set of guidelines for establishing an integrated city plan for Roma inclusion in line with the principles 1, 3, 4, 11, 19 and 20 of European Pillar of Social Rights
- Welcome and introduction of the WG;
- Presentation of Brag’s pledge on European Pillar for Social Rights
- General overview of local policies for Roma minorities for social inclusion
- Presentation of Braga’s practice on Roma
- Presentation by the Fundamental Rights Agency
- Site visit to the three neighbourhood
- Interviews with practitioners and Roma citizens involved in the project
- Reflecting on the practice and provide feedback to Braga
- Cultural evening
- Drafting actions for Braga for better inclusion of Roma minorities at neighbourhood level
- Design possible solution to effective cities integration plans
- Business meeting of the WG.