Save the date for the next working groups urban ageing and barrier-free cities
meeting in Ljubljana, on 12-14 May, focusing on the ‘building accessible cities
for all ages.’
Theme of the meeting
The silver medal winner of Accessible Cities Award - Ljubljana has been developing its accessibility policies to ensure an equal participation in society for older people, as well as for people with disabilities. Ljubljana has mainstreamed accessibility for all ages in city’s development plans and has appointed a special advisory committee including older persons and persons with disabilities to contribute in city's policymaking process. The city has invested in creating outdoors spaces, buildings, transport and tourism that are accessible for older people and people with disabilities.
EUROCITIES is organising a study visit to Ljubljana to learn in practice from the city's model of accessibility solutions for all ages. The aim is to build capacity of the participating city experts to learn, transfer and possibly replicate some of the inspiring practices from Ljubljana while adapting to the specific local conditions and target groups in their cities.
Day 1 - Wednesday, 12 June
· Welcome and introduction of the WGs;
· Setting the context for mainstreaming accessibility for all ages in Ljubljana’s development plans;
· Site visits: Buildings accessible for all ages: City Museum of Ljubljana and Outdoors spaces and tourism accessible to all ages: tour of the old town;
· Reflecting on lessons learned from Ljubljana’s model of accessible public spaces for elderly;
· European Commission presentation of the Accessible City Award and EU accessibility act
Day 2 – Thursday, 13 June
· Workshop – Perspectives on addressing the existing challenges at local level.
· Workshop - Design possible new and more effective responses to ensure accessibility for all ages at local level.
· Common meeting of the WGs urban ageing and barrier free - city updates.
· Separate business meetings of the two WG.
· ESPON ACPA – Adapting European Cities to Population Ageing: policy challenges and best practices - Steering Committee Meeting open to WG urban ageing members
Agenda and registration will be launched soon.