Leeds, Ljubljana and Oulu have won the EUROCITIES Awards 2018. Chosen from 30 initial applications, each demonstrated outstanding achievement as a ‘creative, competitive city’ – this year’s theme. The awards were presented during a special ceremony in Edinburgh’s national museum of Scotland.
More than ever before cities need to be creative and find new ways of connecting and collaborating to unlock solutions to the challenges confronting our citizens, services and communities.
The awards were selected by a panel of expert judges across three categories:
- Leeds won for cooperation with its ‘Leeds 2023’ project that aims to transform the city's economy through culture and creativity
- Ljubljana won for innovation with its ‘RogLab’ project that connects and supports entrepreneurs and creatives, offering a space to co-create and prototype new ideas
- Oulu won for participation with its ‘Chaos challenge’ project that asks citizens each year to come up with ideas to help make Oulu more attractive for 15-29 years olds
Delegates to the conference also took part in elections for EUROCITIES new president, and members of its executive committee – always represented by politicians from 12 cities. EUROCITIES new president is Anna König Jerlmyr.
Speaking after her election, Anna König Jerlmyr, mayor of Stockholm, and incoming EUROCITIES president, said:
“Stockholm and other European cities have benefitted immensely from the EU and European cooperation. But to make sure that the EU continues to benefit as many citizens as possible, EU leaders also need to recognise the important role of our cities for the future of Europe. So, I really look forward to actively working with all our members to make sure that our voices will be heard in the political discussions at EU level.”
Notes to Editors
- EUROCITIES is the political platform for major European cities. We network the local governments of over 140 of Europe’s largest cities and more than 40 partner cities that between them govern some 130 million citizens across 39 countries. www.eurocities.eu
- The EUROCITIES conference focuses on a different theme each year. More information on EUROCITIES 2018 is available here: http://eurocities2018.eu/
- The EUROCITIES Awards showcase outstanding achievements by our member cities in the delivery of local activities or practices which improve the quality of life for citizens. Take a look at the 2018 finalists here: http://eurocities2018.eu/shortlist/
- Follow us on Twitter via @EUROCITIEStweet. The hashtag for this event is #EUROCITIES2018
- Photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/eurocities/albums
- For all other up-to-date information you can check www.eurocities.eu or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Alex Godson: +32 495 298 594 // email@example.com