We are pleased to invite you to the Spring Economic Development Forum taking place in Florence from 27 to 29 March 2019. The theme of the forum will be "The role of European local innovation ecosystems in creating sustainable future of EU".
The pace of change in cities in recent years is not expected to slow down. The disruption brought by innovation to urban economic systems has been enormous. Instead of reacting to this trend, cities are reclaiming their role as co-creator and co-designer of societal innovation. This requires an active role of the cities’ leaders in rethinking the way innovation takes place. For this to happen, cities must allow the development of an ecosystem that enables the governance of the multitude forces of change, towards a common vision of Sustainable Development.
Only with a functioning ecosystem can citizen’s idea translate into projects and experimentations that can benefit everyone: the community’s support and feedback can only strengthen these ideas, leading to scalable and successful innovation. City planners must enable the development of strategic partnerships, facilitating the involvement and cooperation with both public and private actors. To reach long-term socio-economic and environmental goals and achieve Cities must lead the way.
The EDF in Florence was a chance to come together and discuss how new business models, new methods of participation and co-creation of innovations, stronger and more agile institutions, innovation ecosystem local champions, and better cities involvement for better regulations, can all contribute to the development of a stronger European Innovation ecosystem.
At the end of the page you will find the agenda together with other documents used during the forum.
- Key-note speech Innovation policies and their central role in sustainable local development by Prof. Esteve Almirall, Center for Innovation in Cities, ESAD Panel Debate 1/ Why should we develop local innovation ecosystems and how?
André Sobczak, EDF Chair, Nantes Metropole Vice-President on CSR and EU Affairs
Santtu von Bruun, representing EDF Vice-Chair, Helsinki Deputy-Mayor on Innovation
Fabrizio Colimberti, Policy Officer, DG RTD, European Commission
- Javier Gomez, Scientific Officer on Urban Development at EC Joint Research Centre
Presentation of Innovation City Lab methodology
- Innovation City Lab: results of survey results on sustainable innovation ecosystems (SIE)
EDF Business Meeting:
- Update and state of play on the Future of EUROCITIES
- EUROCITIES Policy Update
- Presentation of Partnership of Jobs and Skills Partnership Urban Agenda for EU by City of Rotterdam and Berlin
- Presentation of concept for EDF in Munich