Is your city pursuing inclusive policies? Do you work to ensure social rights for all people in your city? Then join our initiative 'Inclusive Cities for All: Social Rights in My City’.
EUROCITIES kicked off this new political initiative in early 2019 to show the cities’ contribution to a more cohesive and inclusive Europe starting from the local level. We are inviting mayors and deputy mayors to pledge to act on the principles of European Pillar for Social Rights in line with your city's strategic objectives. If your city is already delivering inclusive social policies to achieve social rights, these efforts can be highlighted through a pledge to one of the principles of the Pillar. The first 21 cities presented their pledges at the European Parliament on 21 February.
Our initiative to collect as many city pledges on different principles of the EU social pillar continues throughout 2019. Our goal is to build an inclusive Europe with inclusive cities for all people.
Why to sign a pledge?
1. Your city will gain recognition at EU level. By having a pledge signed by your mayor or deputy mayor, your city’s policies will gain maximum visibility at EU level and your city will be recognised as a champion of equal opportunities and social rights for all people.
2. Your city will be positioned to get better access to EU funds. Given that the next programming period will have European Social Fund aligned to support the implementation of the EU Pillar of Social Rights, by signing a pledge now, your city gets well positioned to access ESF funds after 2020. EUROCITIES is lobbying intensely to get better and easier access for cities to ESF+ and by showing the strong commitment of cities to implement the Pillar's principles, we are making a strong case for matching this commitment with appropriate EU funding.
3. Your city will contribute to a stronger urban voice in the EU social agenda. By showing how cities can take concrete actions to meet the EU objectives, we are showing that cities can be trusted as partners in EU policy-making. This message is timely ahead of the European Parliament elections in May 2019 that will lead to a new EU agenda and the opportunity to engage cities as partners.
How to sign a pledge?
Your city can choose one or more of the 20 principles of the European Pillar of Social Rights where you wish to achieve a good progress or where you wish to continue investing in the next years. It can also be a new area as long as you have the political commitment and budget allocation to proceed with actions in the next years.
In terms of how to formulate the 'pledge' presenting your city’s commitment to deliver the given principle of the EU social pillar, you can draft a text of up to one page, covering:
- political rationale why your city is committed to deliver the given principle(s)
- your city’s framework / strategy to work in this policy area
- commitment for the future – e.g. investments that your city will make and/or actions, programmes or services that your city will deliver
You can use the attached city pledges as template for formulating your pledge. Please note that the pledge should be signed by your mayor or deputy mayor.
When to submit the pledge?
The first 21 cities presented their pledges at the EUROCITIES event at the European Parliament on 21 February 2019.
If you haven't yet presented your city pledge or if you did but you now want to formulate a new pledge on another principle, you are welcome to do this until end of 2019. Get in touch with EUROCITIES and we will inform of the steps you need to take.
The new city pledges will be presented at our autumn Social Affairs Forum in October in Warsaw in front of SAF members and high-level representatives from the European Parliament and European Commission. Your city pledge will then be made known to all EU institutions and across Europe.
Show that your city is inclusive and sign a pledge to deliver the EU Pillar of Social Rights!